Monday, December 19, 2011

Chocolate Heaven

If you LOVE chocolate like me you'll love pot de creme!  For several years I would purchase them from my favorite healthy grocery store as a treat but finally decided to try my hand at making them myself.  Hopefully to save a few bucks, plus share them with my family and dinner guests.  The ingredients are simple but there's many choices as to how to make them, including adding liquor or coffee.  The sky's the limit with lots of room for personal preference.   Course anything chocolate you really can't go wrong!

It's starts with eggs, vanilla, salt, milk and chocolate.  Simple enough.

Photobucket

This particular recipe calls for 12 ounces of morsels poured into a good blender.  Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla or liquor here...and a pinch of salt.

Photobucket

Followed by four whole eggs at room temperature.  Easy for us since we do not refrigerate the eggs we collect from our hens each day, but take them out of the fridge well ahead of time to warm.

Photobucket

Eight ounces of scaled milk or cream.   The hot temperature is a must for melting the chocolate.

Photobucket

See...very HOT.

Photobucket

Mix morsels in blender and then slowly add through the hole in the lid the hot milk and blend until bits are gone and mixture is smooth.  Then pour in to ramekins, cups or glasses.  Leave about an inch of space from the top.

Photobucket

Cute little ramekin for a small portion.

Photobucket

Place in fridge for 3-4 hours so that mixture becomes more creamy. 

Photobucket

After 3-4 hours garnish with topping of choice.  Go crazy here:  crushed peppermint, whipped cream, chocolate shreds, even orange zest, crushed cookie, whatever your heart desires.  I chose confectioners sugar and a little grated dark chocolate.  Yummm!

Photobucket

So, great tasting recipe with lots of choices.  Personally, where I would improve on this is to bake them like some recipes call for in ceramic dishes, because I love the custard-like consistency.  This ended up being more like pudding.  Still good, but a little runny.  I also might add dark chocolate instead of just morsels and of course homemade whipped cream.  For adults I would definitely add some rum or brandy.  Highly addictive little dessert and certainly satisfies the craving.  Enjoy!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment