Monday, December 3, 2012

Goings On On The Farm...

Just a few updates as to the exciting things here on the homestead...well exciting to us, probably very boring to most everyone else.

Yes, our first load of wood chips arrived for the garden!!!  Thanks to all the storms and downed trees within a 60 mile radius, this family will hopefully have a lusious, weed-free garden next year.  Unfortuntately, it's going to take at least 6  more of these truck loads to accomplish this.  So, keep coming downed trees...kidding sort of.



Course having a tractor to spread the chips is so awesome.  Joe actually offered me the opportunity to get out and do it with a pitch fork.  To which I graciously declined.  Like I have time to spread wood chips...got things like blogging to do.

Here is William's most favorite thing to do.

To ride on anything that has a motor.  Seriously, it's an obsession that we once felt was baby cute, to which now we're wondering if therapy might be in order.  Any time he hears tractors, 4-wheelers, boats in the near vacinity (even in the house) he points and yells "wo-wo!" and runs around frantically searching for it.  So, here he is...completely in his element.



"You have to shift this stick like this...and turn this round thing like this...told ya if you'd let me... I'd crank this thing up".



"Ahhh, even better...daddy can give it the wo-wo sound".

Like hubby's Grizzly beard?  I told him he needs just a few more inches and we'll definitely get mistaken for terrorists.



So, the next fun event involves the bovine species.  Here I am modeling the newest country fashion...yes workout attire with cattle truck in the background.  Photo compliments of my son.



A close up... for effect.



We have added two heritage breed Herefords and one bull.  Yes, we're actually going to have a bull on the property.  Let me repeat...WARNING we have a bull on our property.  Granted he's still young yet and thankfully naturally polled (I'll translate since I'm such the cow expert now:  dehorned) so you won't have to worry about us being gorred silly.



Our Jersey steer WAS the spoiled, lone kid on the block until Mr. Bull showed up.  He's not real happy about having pasture mates.

This is called the stare down.



Then the mount....

Mr. Bull says "If I had horns, you'd think twice about putting your stinkin' body on me".



"Steer", yes that is his name...follows new kid around, tracking his every move.  Not sure what he thinks Mr. Bull is going to do exactly or get away with...quite funny to watch.

We chose the Hereford breed due to their gentle nature and good meat production.  Also, the females will be calving in May so with Humbly (our Jersey milker) calving in March we'll have eight of these characters running around.

It's always exciting around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment