Introducing a little less know fruit...part of the orange family....sweet but slightly sour and quite yummy. Yes, it's the funny little Kumquat! Oh and did I mention, it is to be eaten whole? Peel and all!
My sister-in-law introduced these to our family and I've been addicted ever since. When you first bite into them it's sort of a strange sensation of sweet and sour, chewing while thinking orange peel. However, the sensation overload soon meshes with ease of chewing and juice. The first bite is the most interesting, not knowing if it's good or if it should be ejected from the mouth promptly. Sort of a love/hate kind of reaction...ending with a bit of intrigue and eagerness for another sample. It's all very weird...weird yet yummy. Confused? Me too.

Considered an exotic fruit of Asia, they're predominately available from December to June. The skin is sweet and insides slightly sour with a few seeds. A good source of vitamin C, A and fiber. A perfect snack especially for those feeling too lazy to peel an orange.

Speaking oranges, for the last year we've also had an addiction to "cuties"...those "cute" little mandarin oranges that are so easy to peel and full of sweet goodness. My kids will devour most of a bag the first day. I've yet to find them organic...which bothers me a little, but not so much that I'll quit buying them.
So, between Kumquats and cutie oranges, our lives are filled with some of life's simple citrus pleasures!


















No comments:
Post a Comment