Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day...Reflections

As I entertain the aspects of motherhood this day, I am continually humbled, amazed and encouraged by the job that God has entrusted me to do.    At times it is daunting, wondering if I measuring up as the teacher my children need, the disciplinarian they require, the up-lifter they desire and the many other requirements assigned to this immense role.  Being a mother is something not to be entered into lightly and not to be journeyed alone.  Diligent parenting, like all things in order to be done well, should be a matter of prayer and dependence on the ultimate parent, God our Father..."Abba" as he calls himself, a term of endearment that we're to seek in him, otherwise known as "daddy".  Beginning motherhood often begins on our feet, assured we can "just do-it", where eventually we wind up on our knees, knowing that we are not strong enough or all-knowing enough to manage the difficulties.  Thankfully, our Father knows us intimately, our needs, desires and especially our weaknesses and will meet us where we are, only giving us what we can handle...and then what we can't... will carry us through when we humble ourselves and pray.

My Mother's Day began with my usual early morning Sunday bike ride (nope no breakfast in bed).... but wouldn't have it any other way.  My extended family is treating me by taking care of my children for the day, so that I can enjoy an advanced private photography class in my home since I rarely do things without them.  Seeing that we homeschool, my children are with me each day all day, so my gift is a little adult time.    A guilty pleasure seeing as I really need to be outside picking weeds in our out of control garden!  Yes, the garden and herb gardens are growing great, but I'm seriously considering waging major war on the weeds.  You hear this WEEDS, be very scared...I'm comin' soon!  (Just not today.)

How are you spending your day?  A quiet day at home catching up on projects?  Dinner out?  Family time with your children?  Whatever personifies this day for you, ENJOY and have peace knowing that YOU are perfectly chosen to parent the wonderful gifts that God has given... and what He has given He will also guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment