Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Baby William's Birth Story...

After only nine short hours of labor, our precious William Levi arrived on Friday, March 11, 2011 at 11:02 pm.  Weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces and 20 inches long.  His delivery day began rather unexpectedly for ME as I had really believed he would come closer to his second due date of March 16th, but my midwife's premonitions were days earlier.  Over the course of 9 months she and I have developed quite the friendship or should I say soul connection.  Being a woman of God, we relate on many levels which allowed me to get to know her as a person and to be able to place my trust in her as my practitioner as well.   Something in the past I never was able to do with doctors or midwives at the birthing center.  So this was indeed a unique experience.  Will was born at home which was something planned from the beginning.  I knew that after four children I could mentally handle the idea of a homebirth and had other unmedicated births, so physically I was ready for the challenge.  Friends of mine who had homebirths recommended this midwife especially so early on we interviewed each other and quickly found a match.  She was a former labor and delivery nurse as well as CNM (certified nurse midwife) with many years of experience.  I never doubted her expertise clinically, but was mostly impressed with her intuitive style of care.  She knows birth and what a woman is feeling and thinking through out pregnancy and delivery.  Plus, knowing that all the prenatals would be done at home (no babysitter to get) was especially appealing.    The entire process from start to finish (well except for the labor itself) I would certainly do again.  Such a wonderfully normal event, as natural as sleep or any other activity you might do in your home.

I will say that although I loved my experience...I'm not a homebirth zealot, thinking it's right for every woman in every circumstance.  If you would have asked me 10 years ago about a homebirth, I would not have chosen it.  It's been a process of personal experience and conviction that I felt it was right at this time.  Every woman must decide where SHE feels the most suited for the birth.  Homebirth is just another option in the realm of "natural" childbirth for women to choose from.  Where I do find fault is in the system that views conventional hospital births as "normal" and often fears women into NOT trying a natural birth.  I don't believe that women are given all their options objectively at the start of pregnancy to make truly informed decisions.  Even the childbirth preparedness classes at hospitals are biased towards a medicated labor.  I believe if more women were presented with a NONFEAR approach to birth and a support system like many places in Europe, more babies would be born at home or in birthing centers.  BUT money rules...and hospitals are BIG business so for now the system stands as is.

We were invited to my midwife's home early Friday to see the new baby goats.  I was also due for a prenatal so we did it there too.  I had been having some irregular contractions and was already dilated to 2 cm but was only about 50% effaced, still primed for labor to begin at any time.   My midwife moved the baby into more alignment with my cervix which she hoped would increase the efficiency of my contractions.   Noah and Anna loved the new goats...their cries even sounded "new"...an interesting premonition for things yet to come SOON.....

After my prenatal, with the baby more aligned with my cervix I began to have regular contractions.  We shortly left to go home and I could tell the contractions were more than just Braxton Hicks, but wasn't sure if they would stay steady or not.  I also had a few errands to run, so I dropped off the children at home as Joe was working there that day and headed back out.  I decided to grab a big lunch as it was late and didn't know what the contractions might do later leaving me unable to eat or whatever...thus proving to be a wise choice!

As time went on I decided to give my midwife a call just to thank her for the nice contractions she gave me.  I wanted her to know that things were different and that I would probably be in touch.  Her assistant and other midwife (and best friend) was with her and said they'd "stay close" for more updates.  After arriving back home, Joe decided to order pizza for the kids so that I could go rest and see if the contractions would do anything else.  They did not subside so around 7:00 pm I made another phone call to report increased contractions of every 5 minutes lasting 40 seconds.  Joe and I then made the decision to call family members just to alert them of the possibility of a baby that night.  Then around 8:30 pm with some bleeding I knew it was time to have my midwife there.

She told me to leave my front door opened and that they would come in and begin setting up.  "They" meaning her team of midwife and two apprentices one of which is HER daughter also expecting.  I kept referring to them as the NASCAR pit crew because once things got rolling they all worked hard and everyone had a job.

After their arrival, they stayed in my room softly chatting while I tried to get comfortable getting in and out of the shower and sitting on the toilet.  Finally contractions were coming so close and strong that I could no longer hold up my own weight and began to shake uncontrollably.  I laid down and the "pit crew" quickly went to work.  One midwife messaged my legs with oil, the other my arms and one assistant applied counterpressure to my back (back labor AGAIN!).  This went on for at least an hour while I was transitioning to 10 cm.  Finally, when I was almost there, my midwife asked me if I wanted my waters broken because the baby was still a good 3 inches high.  She said once that were to happen that I would be ready to push.  Course being in much discomfort and doing well to stay on top of things, adding the decision to have EXTRA intensity was not what I was looking for.  I had to think about it for a minute...and asked for someone to fetch my husband.  He had put the children to bed and was laying with Noah to help him get to sleep.  Joe knew I was in good hands plus there was nothing he could really do until the end anyway.  I didn't want him to miss anything so if the water was going to be broken I knew he needed to come quickly.

So, the water broke and my midwife guided the head softly towards my cervix to avoid a possible cord prolapse.  Immediately I wanted to push...and like prior births the back labor was so intense that I didn't want to push hard.  So my attempts were weak and not much progress was happening.  My midwife kept encouraging me to push past the hurt and the baby would "come down".  I took that to mean only to be in the birth canal (meaning more work to be done) but she really meant OUT.  So my puny pushing continued until she asked me if I wanted to get into the water as one of the assistants had filled the tub per my request of wanting another water birth like our 4th Sarah.  However, with the shaking and pain I didn't feel I could move.  She then suggested that I get onto all fours as this is often a good position for back labor and for widening the pelvis.  So, I agreed and they all helped me get into position quickly.  After a couple of contractions and some still serious back rubbing by one of the assistants the head came out.  A few yells and the shoulders followed...and then it all stopped.  No more pain...just pure relief and gratefulness for the process to be complete.   I wanted to see William so badly, but since he delivered behind me and was being worked on they reminded me to not sit on him...I just had to wait.  The cord quickly quit pulsating and then Joe cut it.  I finally was able to hold the little guy, who came out exercising his big set of lungs.  Noah apparently too excited to sleep had been outside the bedroom door and was able to hear these first cries.  He had said that day that HE wanted to be the first sibling to hold William, since it was HIS brother.  Ha!  Wish granted kiddo!  Anna awakened later that night also and was able to hold him.  We didn't get photos of her until the next morning though. 

After the delivery, I was bleeding more than normal so the midwives quickly got an IV going and gave me two bags of saline.  I also ended up needed some Cytotec and clots removed from my cervix.  I'm so grateful these ladies knew what to do as I was blissfully unaware of my issues being enamored with my new little man.  Once this was under control, they helped me get into my already prepared tub and then examined Will, washed my laundry and cleaned up my room.  When all was said and done, the assistants left and we ate pizza and chatted in our living room with our two midwife friends.   It was great!  Then around 2:30 am Joe and I walked them to the front door, said good-bye, looked at each other and said "well, that's done...guess it's time for bed".  A surreal experience to say the least.

Early the next morning, the rest of the kids visited Will.  I wanted to catch Lilly's and Sarah's expressions coming in the bedroom so I had it locked as to be ready to snap their photograph.  Talk about excited!

We feel so happy AND relieved to finally have our little boy here safe and healthy.  The entire process of pregnancy and birth is such a miracle and are truly blessed to have been given these five precious souls.  Little Will will never lack for love and attention in this home!  Just wanted to share this special time while the details are still fresh on my mind and a few photos that capture these exciting first moments.  Check in later for more updates on our new arrival!

No comments:

Post a Comment