Monday, March 7, 2011

Wrap and Wear Options...

Well, it's that time again...to figure out what to use for a carrier for our soon-to-be newborn.  Don't want to bore anyone with these details who isn't expecting, but for those who ARE and are curious about wearing their baby, perhaps we can comisorate together! 

For every child I have used some sort of baby wearing device.  The first three were in the Baby Bijorn, or a hiking pack, the fourth I switched to the Ergo carrier and wrap (Ergo I still have and love!). Had to return the borrowed wrap and the Ergo really wasn't that great for newborns...in my opinion.  I bought it with the newborn cushion insert, but Sarah just screamed in it like she was being squeezed to death.  I mostly used a long, stretchy, 6 foot long piece of fabric (cotton) as a wrap which worked great. The Ergo is great for older infants when you have the option to wear them front or back.

After browsing the fabric store I became disheartened with the prices of fabric as I was going to make my own.  Even with coupons, $5.99 a yard for 6-7 yards still seemed expensive and the "scratch and dent" selections were less than impressive.  SOOOOO, in looking at the Moby wraps on-line was able to narrow my choices down to a color that seemed versatile PLUS with free shipping the cost was about equal to what I would have spent making it myself.  If I had more time and didn't have to cart 4 children around to upteen different stores I probably could have found something cheaper, but my sanity is worth a little more than saving a couple of dollars.  Craigslist also had a few options but AGAIN, I wasn't happy with the color selection. For those of you new to baby wearing with the wrap, below is a quick tutorial. It may seem confusing at first but like anything else new, it eventually becomes 'old hat'. Wrapping newborns keeps them very snug with their head and neck supported. The warm and cozy simulation of the womb certainly comes in handy for those notorious fussy periods.








No comments:

Post a Comment